Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Positivity, revisited

After reading my last post, I realized that I was being overtly negative. Sorry, Dr. So and So. I am sure (and hope) that you usually do a much better job.

Aidan had his fourth birthday last week. We had a little party, with a water theme, that was easy on me and lots of fun for his friends that came. It can be done! I was out to prove that it could be: a birthday party that is low on waste, reasonable on cost, and tons of fun for the attendees.

I reused paper that I had stashed away from previous years, and used glass and plastic (reusable) for the rest, I didn't buy anything paper themed, and we used recycled scraps for the place cards. We had a very free flowing schedule, knowing that it is stressful to keep 4 year olds on task. The kids played in the sprinkler and pool, dug in the dirt and sand, and swung their little hearts out. Then we came in and had a terrible for you but delicious lunch and homemade cupcakes with from scratch butter cream icing. Yum! The best part of all of it was that the small and tasteful gifts people brought were thoughtful and useful. And my one friend who brings nothing on request was the most praised. There was no after party fallout, which is what we wished for in our wildest dreams. No letdowns, no sugar lows, no big mess to clean up. Did you think that was possible? It is.

Today's weather is quite lovely and makes me long to wear jeans, a long sleeve T and a scarf. That is the best weather. No jacket, maybe a hoodie--oh--and real shoes. I am longing for rainy cool days after this drought-stricken summer. It was a good summer for events, you never had to worry that you'd get rained on. I was just looking at pics from last year's party and everything was so lush and green, it appears we live Seattle. And even when you water religiously, it's not the same as rainfall.

Coleman has his first PT appt. today to address his lack of gross motor skills. He is still doing the crab crawl and pulling up to his knees. They will come to the house, assess, and we'll see where we stand. I think it will warrant a few trips to see a PT doc, but not many more. He's a bit behind, but not too far with the break factored in.

Aidan is gearing up for going back to school on September 5th. We have a warmup again this year where parents go on the first day and meet and greet while the kids reacquaint themselves with the room, toys, and teachers. And Cole and I are signed up for an ECFE class together on Wednesdays while Aidan is in school, and it is in the same building, actually the same hallway, and is built specifically so that Moms of preschoolers can take younger sibs to the class. They seem to have thought of everything. I am looking forward to the separation time during the class where the kids stay behind, play and go to the gym, and the Moms talk it out. I have taken this Wednesday class before and this time is SO IMPORTANT for me and my friend, my brain. Coleman has always separated very well, we haven't really had a memorable incident yet. Which is great to see in print! It is almost as though it may not be a problem. WOW! Aidan had a very hard time, and it was one of the sorest points for me (and Joel) in his first three years. Through ECFE separation, both at St Anthony and when Joel was taking Daddy & Me on Saturday mornings, we had successful separation.

They both separate well with their grandparents. I am really not sure why we expect our children to separate well with strangers. Note to self and parents everywhere: this does not go well for at least six weeks And it shouldn't! We tell them that strangers and bad and scary. Ah, yes, the conundrums of parenting.

No comments: