Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Facebook "25 random things" experiment (mine is approximate)

On Facebook right now, there are lists going around that people write about themselves titled "25 Random Things". I like these lists, because I value cleverness and a good sense of humor. I think taking inventory puts us closer to who we are and what we value, and that is never bad. In lots of ways the list has become a confessional as well, which makes for a very interesting read.

This is my second one, the first one I did was 16 things (there are no repeats):

I like to shower right before I go somewhere. If that somewhere is dancing @ 11 p.m., I shower at 10 p.m.

I have never seen Top Gun.

I am a fiercely loyal friend. I don't talk about my friends behind their backs and I never tell secrets--not even the kind I probably should. Sometimes it bites me in the ass.

I am very well read. I run the gamut from Proust to US Weekly to Ina Garten cookbooks to a government housing blog and literally everything in between. But I never watch the news.

Gwyneth Paltrow married Chris Martin the same time I was getting married. My friend Dayna and I made up a question to aide us in making decisions or choosing something: "What would Gwyneth do?".

If I don't feel "together", I have a bad time. It is my least favorite thing about me. This is how I explain my near-manic organizing.

I can source anything. Just ask me and I'll find it for you. Gratis.

No one can scream louder than me. It's your mission if you choose to accept it.

I had natural childbirth. Twice.

I have the ticket from every single movie, concert, play I've ever seen. That's right.

There's no other quiet like winter in Grand Marais. It makes me weep to think about how much I love how quiet it is there.

The lyrics to most Beatles songs were in-born, I never had to learn them. Both of my boys have a Beatles song that is "their song". Aidan's is "Who Knows How Long I've Loved You" and Coleman's is "Beautiful Boy" (a John Lennon song). I'll sing them for you anytime.

I am a recycling and packaging-reduction zealot. I consider it a gift to my children that I give them every other Wednesday.

Someone told me once that having children was about killing time. Having kids isn't what I expected and it's beyond challenging everyday, but that is NOT what it is about.

I run a really f*&@ing tight ship. Oh, and I like to swear.

My body craves (in order of intensity): Joel, my children, sleep, yoga & its corresponding clothes, meaningful conversation, warm roasted vegetables over wilted spinach salad from The Sample Room.

I think I am disproportionately lucky. Have you met my parents, for instance?

I am not easygoing and do not wish to be.

I've never received a better compliment than when someone told me I was like my Grandmommy. She did the cryptoquip every single day, called markers "marking pens", and used Pond's Cold Cream and Kleenex to take her makeup off. And don't get me started on her tuna melts. I miss her every day.

I would make a great sales person; I could sell ice to penguins. But I can't stand sales, I would feel like I'm pulling something over on someone and couldn't live with that.

Nobody can make me laugh like my sister and brother can. Side splitting. Dayna and Coley (especially together) come in a close second.

Dancing? Yes please.

One thing to count on: I've thought about it.

I had acute postpartum depression after Aidan was born. And while I didn't think it while it was going on, it's one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

Until I was a teenager, I thought Indian woman's bindi was a thumbtack. My dad told me this, and my brother backed him up.

I believe that there's no good reason for poor oral hygiene.

2 comments:

Girl Detective said...

AMEN to Grand Marais. I feel the stress drop off of me as soon as we pass Duluth.

One of our friends selected a Beatles song to sing at our wedding, "I Will." It was perfect.

Kate said...

"I Will" is the same song as "Who Knows How Long I've Loved You."

I remember that from your program.