Saturday, June 07, 2008

A Tidy House...A Boring Life

While I'll be the first to admit that my house isn't as clean as it used it be, I'll also be the first to say "thank goodness".

My old high ideal of what meant a clean home was, put plainly, unattainable. I would spend a week (note that it does not say weekend) working on it until I got it just right. As it looks now, if you walked in off the street, is presentable and deserving of praise considering my current occupation.

It is nice as well that because of my commitment to green practices, that clean is a different state. Clean used to be the chemical-laden faux-lemon smell. Now it is simply clean, meaning the dirt, streaks, and germs are not present, but neither are the chemicals and fumes that go along with the old clean. And the savings from the products I don't buy is tangible.

My children are a part of the cleaning crew around my house. I read an article recently that spoke of our current child-centered universe, where we go out of our way to ensure our children are happy and entertained. I do not subscribe to this. In my experience, trying to make anyone, even an adult, happy and entertained is futile. Happiness is gained from work. And only work a person does them self. And heaps of self esteem can be found in being a contributing member of your own family.

The author of this article rounded out my theory nicely. When I see Cole getting giddy stuffing the chute full of laundry or Aidan piling up and sorting books, it makes me happy. And there goes my theory.

Things children can do around the house:
Gather dishes and put them in the sink
Laundry chute duty
Load the washer with a pile you've put out for them
Sort socks and figure out who's are who's
Squirt and clean the windows they can reach
Load the dishwasher
And no one, I repeat no one, should be cleaning up their toys but them!

After all, we are raising future roommates, partners, husbands...

No comments: